Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 16:36:59 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
  Karen
  The concept that breast milk has no nutritional value after 1 year (at least, she didn't say 6 months!) is a prejudice; and, as such, difficult to reply with new information.
  Nutritional value of a food depends of the food's composition, not of the recipient's age. Value of breast milk is the same at any age: perfect balance of protein, fat and lactose; lots of minerals and vitamins in a readily available form... I have never seen an article about "nutritional value of fish in the 24-26 years range" or "nutritional value of chocolate cookies for middle age piano players".
  Breast milk has not enough proteins? More than bread, certainly. Breast milk has not enough calcium? More than chicken, no doubt. Breast milk has not enough iron? More than oranje juice, to be sure. With this kind of reasoning, wath the hell CAN you feed a toddler? Of course, breast milk can not be the only source of nutrition for a toddler, we all agree. No single food can be, at this age. Anyway, if I were in a dessert island with a toddler, I would rather have only breast milk than only orange juice or only popcorn. (Wait a moment, I wouldn't even need the toddler! :-)
  Another question is if breastmilk protects from infections and allergies after the first year. I believe it does, although I don't remember of any study in developed countries (not enough study cases, probably); the protective effect of breast milk is lower when solids are added, of course. But this is a completely different issue; you don't expect of other foods to protect against infections, this is a plus!
  Best wishes                   Carlos Gonzalez
                                Barcelona

ATOM RSS1 RSS2