Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2006 06:28:21 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
It sounds to me as if she is battling systemic yeast, especially given the vaginal yeast infections she has experienced all along.  I would think all the lactose in colostrum would be a perfect feed for yeast overgrowth since she is obviously already colonized with it.   

I recommend Dr. Jack's protocol for candidiasis, but, IMO, she is going to need to address dietary issues as well if she ever wants to get the yeast under control.  Even if she decides to stop breastfeeding again (I hope not!), she will need to work on getting that yeast under control for her own health.  I wouldn't waste my time and money with nystatin.  I'm not seeing it do a bit of good with the yeast some of my students and clients are battling these days.

I don't have any references for you, but it seems totally logical, doesn't it?

Cee

dec <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Is it possible for a mother to have a yeast infection in her breasts before delivery?
Is there literature anywhere that indicates there is a possibility of that occurring?

I have a mother who complained of sore nipples prior to delivery of her child. Following delivery (vaginal), her baby latched beautifully and has continued to have what appears to be an excellent latch. However, her nipples are sore and are very painful right through each feeding, more prononced with letdown. There are no problems with the baby's oral cavity or tongue.

She had her first child in a different hospital and says that at that she struggled with a yeast infection (mom and baby) for the entire time she was breastfeeding, in spite of treatments and being followed by her GP and LC. She & baby received nystatin (several rounds of treatment). Her doc then recommended gentian violet, but by that time the mom was to frustrated to continue breastfeeding and quit at about 3-4 months.She has continued to have vaginal yeast infections during her recent pregnancy. 

She had hoped to have a more enjoyable breastfeeding experience with this new baby. 
Is it possible, given that she was leaking colostrum during her last trimester and that she has had vaginal yeast infections during her pregnancy, that her nipples could already be colonized with yeast? All the literature that I have says that yeast infections usually show symptoms when mom is at least two weeks post partum. However, this mom is only 3 days post partum.

If it is possible to have symptoms of a yeast infection that early?
And most importantly, is there any literature/research to back up the possibility?
Beth
IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
 Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2