Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:13:10 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Dear all:

I have learned to NEVER believe marketing of any bottle or teat in terms of flow.  I 
always watch the baby.  As for the claim that the bottle on a website of a particular 
company is slow flow --- I beg to differ about the slowness of the flow from the evidence 
from babies I have actually observed.  I have had to take too many babies off of that 
particular bottle because the flow was too fast.  The bottle also comes with a pinched 
nipple version that the speech and occupational therapists have labeled the "squash and 
flood". Apparently they think a pinched nipple is much worse for palate development.   
I've had to work with many a baby to stop pinching mom with the tip of the tongue after 
the baby learned the technique from resting the tongue in the pinched part of the bottle 
nipple (or pacifier for that matter).  I do know that one prominent seller of breastfeeding 
products has complained about this nipple directly to the representative of the company. 
However, I have found very experimental moms often attach various different nipples to 
various different bottles and you'd be amazed at what you can mix and match.

I have found less expensive slower flow nipples that are widely available and also 
bisphenol A free.  One of the cheapest bottles here in Manhattan happens to be just as 
good as any of the highly expensive bottles that I have seen marketed specifically 
because they are bisphenol A free.  Of course, if you want status in Manhattan you can 
buy designer bottles that are 10 to 20 times the price and harder to clean, but look very 
pretty on the shelf, in your babies mouth, or in the bottle compartment of your $1,000 + 
designer stroller (that can't be folded up in restaurants or support groups or taken on the 
bus or subway - I'm not sure they even fit in car trunks).

Best regards, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2