Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:14:09 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I am old and been doing this a long time.  I have physicians call and ask what is OK to prescribe (per Hale) or what is the latest ideas on galactogogues, etc.  I am asked to double-check on mastitis, assess thrush vs something else, etc.  I am asked to assess frenulae, suck etc. and recommend and educate and "treat."  If this is not part of what is acceptable to do, perhaps I need to forgo the IBCLC exam this year, retire and drop out of this scene.  In my next life, I will seek an LTP degree and position, if such is available.  I'm thinking it would be better to be an OT/NNP - but then I'd never get paid enough to pay for the education!  

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pamela Poe

Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:05 PM

Subject: Galactogogues

Is it in the scope of practice for a lactation consultant to recommend and encourage the use of herbs?  Medications for breastfeeding?  My training workshop that I took said that this is NOT in the scope of our practice and I am a bit timid recommending these when I know that a mother could benefit from them after all other options are tried.

What do you girls think?  How do you handle this?  

Pamela, BS, CLC, CLS, IBCLC exam 2012

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2