Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:05:42 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Hi Marie
Informed consent demands that mothers are informed of the possible (likely) consequences of sending their infants to the nursery (to be formula fed) at night.  (I would think that it is appropriate that they be asked to sign a consent to this treatment (and a waiver), given against medical advice.)  Nurses and lactation consultants should be skilled in delivering this information in a dispassionate way.  (I have found role-play triads really effective for identifying hidden judgements in my tone, body language or word choice.)  Failing to inform mothers is paternalistic.  Failing to inform mothers because they *might* feel guilty is unethical. 
There are two ways you could turn this problem on its head.  First you could ask why it is that the hospital allows mothers to send well babies to the nursery overnight to be exposed to infant formula when this practice puts babies at unnecessary risk of adverse health outcomes.  What does the risk management department have to say about that?  Second, you could ask why it is that other nurses are NOT making mothers aware of the risks associated with the practice of sending well babies to the nursery to be exposed to infant formula.  What does the risk management department have to say about that?
Cheers
Nina Berry
Australia

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2