Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:58:23 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (56 lines)
This is just *fascinating* information....sounds corny, but I'm so honored to be amongst professionals who truly understand whats going on and are will to share their experiences and knowledge with others!!  What a benefit to moms & babies...ok, gettn' emotional here!!  Thanks Diane & others as well....I'm actually working with a mom right now that I suspect her baby may a tight frenulum...not textbook though, I'm going to finish reading through the archives...

Thanks again,
  Joy Kahler
  LLL Wyoming, USA

Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I get it now.

A week ago today, our community had its first "second snipping" of a posterior tongue-tie. I hold out great hope for it. With the first snipping, the doc felt there wasn't much to snip and didn't feel much change afterwards. Neither did the mother. But apparently sometimes that first snip allows the mucous membranes covering a posterior tongue-tie to recede and reveal more of the tongue-tie.

Stretch your thumb and fingers into an L, as tightly as you can. Picture making a snip at the middle of the webbing. Can you see that it would open not into a cut but into a diamond, because the tissue has a narrow leading edge but widens as it goes back? Now imagine that embedded in that webbing is a strand of thicker stuff. Allowing that diamond to open would let the thicker strand become more prominent. (The diamond notion is courtesy of Cathy Genna and Betty Coryllos, who've seen it many times.)

Sure enough, with the second snipping, the doctor said there was clearly something to snip, he saw the diamond open, and he felt there was a great deal more mobility afterwards. It looked to me like a pretty extensive wound, compared to an anterior thin-membrane snipping.

Nothing much happened with the breastfeeding. A couple days ago, after maybe 5 days, the baby finally started sticking his tongue *out* (and apparently having fun doing it, and boy is it *long* now!), but when he opens his mouth to cry, that tongue stays plastered to the floor of his mouth.

Try this: Stick your tongue out as far as you can. Can you feel the pull? Bring it back in. Any residual sensation?

Now glue your tongue to the roof of your mouth, as if you were going to make a loud smacking sound, open your lips, and drop your jaw, keeping your whole tongue on the roof of your mouth. Hold it. Keep the suction between tongue and palate, and really drop that jaw. Feel the strain? Okay, now relax. Any residuals?

I'm *amazed* at the tension I can generate that way, and at how long the ache can linger. And now I have real sympathy for the baby who takes his time recovering from a diamond-widening snipping. If he's only now beginning to stick his tongue *out*, I can understand why we'll need to wait a while longer for him to use it reliably *up*. As before the snipping, sometimes he has a good initial feeding, but he always quits before satiety, and cries if she pushes him.

I would too, I think. 

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC Ithaca, NY USA
www.wiessinger.baka.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

---------------------------------
Looking for last minute shopping deals?  Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2