Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2011 16:19:36 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
It sounds like baby and probably older siblings probably have a protein intolerance (i.e. dairy, soy, GLUTEN). Has mom eliminated any foods like dairy to see if it helps? If there is any kind of gut disturbance or damage it makes it very difficult for some of these little ones to gain weight inspite of adequate intake. Dairy and soy are usually the first culprits I suggest to eliminate when there are issues such as this (especially when reflux treatment is necessary).

Gluten seems a very likely candidate in this situation though. If mom is open to it,  I would suggest she research and/or have some tests done for gluten intolerance (this intolerance/allergy causes a lot of gut damage and often is very sly about it). All of the symptoms you listed are common to gluten intolerance or Celiac Disease and it does run in families. It causes reflux, thyroid issues, failure to thrive or extremely slow weight gain inspite of sufficient output signs. I would be curious if baby (or older siblings) ever show other symptoms like excema, strange BM (loose or constipated), attention issues, unexplained tummy aches, anemia, fatigue, colic, joint pain, nose bleeds, the list could go on. One of the many problems with protein intolerances is that they don't present the same in every person. 

Unfortunately, I know a little about this from personal experience. The hard part is that the tests for gluten sensitivity are not all that accurate, especially in babies. Often, the only real way to know if that is in fact the issue is to totally eliminate gluten from mom's and baby's diet for 3 to 6 months and see if things get better. This is difficult to do, but if it is the cause, you get a much healthier baby out of it and no meds are necessary. It could correct a lifelong issue for this little one.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Deirdre Cannon, IBCLC
www.forbabiessake.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2