Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2016 01:33:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Becki,
If you are on the FB version of LN, there was a long discussion about this topic last week. I posted a lot of information about helping mothers with such babies. Formula is never the answer. Elimination and gut healing for mother and baby are. 
Jennifer

Jennifer Tow, BFA, MA, IBCLC, RLC, OMT Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 09:31:26 -0500
Subject: Eczema and blood in stool

Thought I had posted this the other day, but have not seen it in the digest, so Grace please, if this is a duplicate post?

PTP:

I have a cousin whose babe (DOB 8/11/16) recently developed a good amount of eczema on his belly, legs and arms. Concurrently, his bowel movements were changing from yellow to green and becoming "much runnier, almost like diarrhea”. He began showing symptoms around 9 weeks of age, which gradually worsened until, at 11 weeks, Mama took babe to the pediatrician, who obtained a stool sample, from which he determined baby had “some type of allergy” and that there was “blood in the stool” (she does not know if a culture was done). 

At this point, pediatrician asked mom to cut soy and dairy from her diet which she has now been doing for two weeks, with little improvement. She has a follow-up appointment early next week and they are supposed to do another test on his stool. 

Mama is concerned that baby does not seem to be improving, his rate of weight gain appears to be slowing, and the process she may need to follow to identify allergen. Her pediatrician has spoken with her about the use of hypoallergenic formula. 

Family hx: both father and paternal grandfather have a history of diverticulosis.

I have reviewed the ABM’s Protocol #24: Allergic Proctocolitis in the Exclusively Breastfed Infant and am posting here to glean any additional wisdom you may offer? 

Thank you so much!
Becki Neely, RN BSN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2