Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 12:12:30 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
What is the mom's vitamin D level?  If there is not adequate vitamin D, calcium will not be utilized. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Yasmeen Effath
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 12:52 PM
Subject: Calcium and Bone Density in Breastfeeding mothers

Dear Lactnetters,

I am looking for references and opinions on calcium intake and bone density of a breastfeeding mother. My learning has so far been that routine supplementation of calcium is not required during nursing owing to increases in bone turnover rate, and reductions in urinary calcium excretion. (Dr. Ann Prentice, Maternal calcium metabolism and bone mineral status, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 71, No. 5, 1312S-1316s, May 2000) &
(http://www.llli.org/cbi/bibosteoporosis.html) .

I have permission to post, I had a mother send me this mail,

"I had some medical checkups done and found that my bone density levels are very low. It is -1.6 which falls under the osteopenia category. The direct correlation that the gynec did was to the breastfeeding and whether I took supplements when feeding my son. I was taking calcium supplements when I exclusively breastfeeding, but after he started solids I had stopped taking any supplements, but continued to have 300-400 ml of milk everyday along with other milk products like buttermilk or paneer (but not daily). Currently I have been advised to take calcium supplements as my levels are very low. The doctor has suggested me to take supracal pro which has about 1250 mg calcium, also I am continuing the same dairy intake as mentioned above. I weaned about 6 months ago. When I checked on the internet above this, there are articles which say the bone density in breastfeeding mothers reduce and then get back to normalcy after
6 months -1yr time. My bone density levels before pregnancy was very high - way above the normal (as I remember taking some tests in the office as part of osteroporosis awareness camp). I would really like to get your opinion on this and to spread the awareness about this calcium need in women who are doing extended breastfeeding, after all the mother's health is very critical too.

Bone density (Dexa) Test values interpretation: (for your reference) Greater than -1 =ormal / -1 to -2.5 =steopenia /Less than -2.5 = osteoporosis"

I am looking for your insights to explain her levels of calcium before and after pregnancy and lactation.

Thank you

Yasmin
MA, HDSE, CLEC, LLLL
Mumbai, India
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2