Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 May 1998 14:10:31 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Hello

I am pleased to be included in your day to day brainstorming and information
sharing on the world of Lactation. I am Canadian Registered Nurse who has almost 16
years of Labour/Delivery/Maternity experience.
      I am presently trying to prepare for the LC exams in July. I am the mother of four
and the wife of a gentleman with a very transient job. I find myself presently living in
a small northwestern(Alberta) town with a large native influence.  There appears to be a
need for breastfeeding education here, it seems that bottlefeeding and its myths found
its way in these quiet northern settlements.
        The challenge here is not the people but my colleagues who seem to consciously
or unconsciously sabbotage the efforts made by those little few trying to help moms and
babies back on track. I am finding that the role of a Lactation Consultant in Canada is
coming slowly but will take time to convince the "doubting Thomas'" out there that LCs
are here to stay and not a trend.
        I would like to inquire about a practise that I have noticed over the years that
I wonder has anything to due with why some newborns are more prone to jaundice than
others? During a specified delivery as the cord was clamped on one side it would be
milked before being clamped on the other side and cut. Unfortunately the side of the
cord being milked was milked towards the infant. Does anyone know of any studies or
papers addressing this practise? Is it of enough significance that it could alter a
low-risk neonate into a higher risk for Hyperbilirubinemia?

Thank you

Kellie K. R.N.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2