Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 09:14:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Hi there Linda, 

As a former LEO worker myself, I can tell you that a) you can get a vest formed for women, and b)you can get one with the removable trauma plate which puts more pressure on the solar plexus and inner breast tissue than without it. However, the trauma plate is not something I would work without. 

That being said, vests are made to fit snug, you can't get it fitted big for comfort, it will ride up when driving or running... so I can understand discomfort issues if she has large breasts.
The thing about light duty is she would get a chance to pump. The chances of pumping in the field would be hit and miss at best.

Although I hate to think of breastfeeding as a condition to put one on light duty which is typically reserved for broken legs, and such.

On the other hand :) this is just yet another example of how workplaces can accommodate breastfeeding, so if this mom wants to work and pump then in this particular field, light duty would accommodate it best.

As for continuing her firearm qualification , she can do that on light duty and there is no contraindication for shooting that I ever heard of. If there is a concern, it would be from the powder in the air, not the ammo. She can wear an allergy mask if she wants, however, that residue is on everything just like any smoke.  She should of course wash her hands well after practice, and the same goes for cleaning with those solvents.

I would reinforce that breastfeeding is not as fragile as some make it out to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mirine R. Dye, BS, CLE
MPH grad student
Florida Keys 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2