Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:51:29 +1200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I often hear mothers talk about doing a "dream feed" and wondered what the heck they were talking about. I discovered it is very popular down under in New Zealand, but I don't know whether it is in other parts of the world.  It seems to be another populist theory amongst parenting websites and magazines, to get babies to sleep through the night.  Apparently, a mother feeds her baby last thing at night, then not again until morning, using settling techniques  until morning.  Sounds exhausting to me not to mention horrible for the baby.

Now, we all know this is counterproductive to breastfeeding but I would like to form a logical scientific answer to explain why this theory should not be promoted by health professionals. Local well child nurses have asked me for some evidence they can use to counteract this practise. Can anyone lead me to some concise information around prolactin levels during the 24 hour period and how night feeds (expecially from 2 - 5 am) are important for continual milk production?  I know the Hartmann Institute have done some work on this but I was wondering if anyone out there has already looked at this issue and can lead me in the right direction. 

Sometimes I feel I am continually battling "populist" theories, where somebody is making a lot of money promoting that theory.

Karen Palmer
IBCLC
New Zealand

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2