Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 2004 23:46:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
"I've frequently observed that older (past 2 mo or so) breastfed babies who are gaining tremendously have infrequent stools and when they do go, it is a normal to large amount of normal BF baby stool.  I have always felt this was because they were using it all up and there wasn't much waste left over."

I am sorry, but this just makes no sense. The fact that the stool is so large when the baby finally goes, shows that it is just sitting inside, not "being all used up". Most of the time, it is not normal looking at all, but very pasty, suggesting that the fluids have been reabsorbed into the gut. Besides, we are talking about major cellular activity in the growth of an infant-there is going to be waste. whay would we inagine that the milk is "all used up" in some babies and not in others who are growing perfectly and stooling very often?

" Was also my personal experience with my last baby who gained tremendously (can't lay my hands on the baby book this am, but he was FAT).  From 7 weeks to about 7 mo he pooped approximately every fifth day.  Was happy and contented.  I know, looking back that I had an oversupply problem. "

I think oversupply often goes hand-in-hand. I have also raised this concern before--babies who grow so fat on high-lactose milk must be exposed to more insulin. Shouldn't we be concerned about the potential for diabetes or at least hyperinsulenemia in these babies in later life?
Jennifer Tow IBCLC, CT, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2