Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 07:46:08 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
> Hi Debra,
> I absolutely agree that learning from one another is really important and I echo your request for people to share resources on understanding and responding to racism in their contexts. It was a great suggestion. 

> However, I think perhaps you may have missed the point of my response to Liz. American culture is currently the dominant culture in the world and it can be quite over powering at times. Unfortunately, what can happen is that this dominance can result in the belief that  because something is good and useful in the US or for the US that it must be good and useful for people elsewhere (Liz’s proposition). The converse that because something is not useful in the US it is not useful at all is also often believed. Finally, and most disturbingly, sometimes it is thought that the concerns of the US trump concerns elsewhere. Each of these beliefs are the source of much harm in the lactation world which is why I had a strong response to Liz’s post.  Working with infant feeding organisations it is easily evident that many aspects of infant feeding policy and advocacy around the world are controlled by Americans. This can be harmful to mothers and babies who are outside of the US- their concerns are not heard and not taken as seriously. This has been the case for a very long time and up until the present. I can provide specific examples if necessary and I am certain that I am only aware of a small proportion of these problems. I am sure that other non-American Lactnetters will be aware of many others.
> 
> Working internationally and in Australia, with people from many races, backgrounds and cultures I have learnt how racism is manifest, spoken about and understood in different places. It is very complex. Something that is entirely appropriate to say or do in one context may be viewed as extremely hurtful and destructive in another (just in the last 24 hrs I learnt of one example of a US expected response to racism that would be viewed as extremely rude in the Australian context and the expected response in Australia is considered extremely rude in the US- who knew, not me!). A group that may be a majority and in a position of power in one context may be an oppressed group in another. This experience is another reason why I objected to Liz’s resource as being appropriate for everyone. The US has a particular history, culture, experience, language, rules and beliefs about race and racism. These are not universal. Even where English is the primary language words mean different things. In working internationally we need to be able to recognise this and to nonetheless seek to understand one another even when our words are not right, our assumptions are wrong or we just don’t understand. This may be more difficult for Americans than for others simply because the dominance of American culture limits the opportunities for many Americans to be in the uncomfortable position of not being understood by those around them. 
> 
> Liz and yourself asked for recommendations on resources to learn about race and racism and what to do about it. My recommendation is not a website or a book but relationships with others. Talking to people and listening to them and understanding their lives and how their race and culture and environment impacts them, that’s how I’ve really gotten to understand (I’ve read stuff too obviously but relationships are so much better). I have no links for reading but I would suggest that for those who are interested in hearing from people who experience racism and learning how to work against it in Australia that the Beyond Social Justice Festival is a good place to go https://beyondfestival.com.au/ <https://beyondfestival.com.au/> October long weekend in Canberra, I’ll be there.
> 
> On a more general level, for those Americans working in international infant feeding organisations, it would be helpful in my view for you to think about how your assumptions might impact those outside of the US. Is having the conference in the US limiting the participation of people from other parts of the world? Is a policy needed to assist particularly disadvantaged groups in other places? Will that press release have unintended consequences for non-Americans? Is the fact that you’ve not heard about something mean that it is not an important issue? How do you weigh the importance of issues that affect the US versus those that affect other countries? What is the nationality makeup of the governing board? How does the location of Board meetings impact the willingness of people from other countries being involved? What time do you have conference calls and how does that impact participation from other places? Who are your experts from diverse communities? How do you adjust fees for those in other countries? What additional assistance do you provide to people who have to travel very long distances to participate in your meetings? How do you ensure that your selection criteria for positions do not favour Americans?  How will a change in rule impact access of people outside the US? How do you hear the voices of people who are not in the US? What are the lines of communication for those who don’t know you and can’t easily give you a telephone call? What are the origins of articles/papers in your publications and how do you encourage submissions fro outside of the US?
> 
> So you see, my response was not actually about not wanting to understand how issues like racism are manifest in the US. In actuality, I and probably the vast majority of non-US Lactnetters, are exposed to a disproportionate amount of information about US issues of race (it’s in the news daily in Australia). My response was one of frustration, that the opposite is needed, we need those who are making decisions about infant feeding around the world from a US base to understand our world better. Because my experience has been that when I have raised non-American issues of disadvantage and discrimination, human rights violations, cultural differences and racism that I have not had a listening ear from our international organisations and that this has clearly often been as a result of the American dominance of the organisation. And the result is a perpetuation of disadvantage, discrimination and harm.

Karleen Gribble
Australia
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  
> 
>> For Liz Brooks:  
>> 
>> In response to your recent post that included the content and link below:
>> 
>>> Hence I also commend to everyone on Lactnet, regardless of country of
>>> origin, or self identification a rich resource: Curriculum for White
>>> Americans to Educate Themselves on Race and Racism - From Ferguson to
>>> Charleston. Please do NOT let the seemingly-USA-only focus deter you from
>>> self-education and expanded self-awareness.
>>> http://citizenshipandsocialjustice.com/2015/07/10/curriculum-for-white- <http://citizenshipandsocialjustice.com/2015/07/10/curriculum-for-white->
>>> americans-to-educate-themselves-on-race-and-racism/
>> 
>> My deepest gratitude to you for acknowledging racism and sharing the above tremendous resource.  I can be classified by some as caucasian, am the biological mother of two adult daughters who may be classified by some as "biracial," and am also the grandmother of a brilliantly hued group of six beloved grandchildren for whom I wish only the best in this often crazy and also beautiful world.  
>> 
>> You encouraged Lactnet readers to "not let the seemingly-USA-only focus deter you from self-education and expanded self-awareness," and I would imagine that others around the world also have much to offer in regard to education on race and racism.   For example, I am deeply interested in how other cultures have addressed the treatment of indigenous peoples in regard to tragic past treatment, and how societies have moved forward to whatever degree toward greater health for all members of society, since we in the U.S. have so very far to go in this regard.  Surely we must learn from each other as neighbors in our nearest communities, and as global neighbors.  
>> 
>> In gratitude,
>> 
>> Debra Swank, RN BSN IBCLC
>> Ocala, Florida USA
>> More Than Reflexes Education
>> http://www.MoreThanReflexes.org <http://www.morethanreflexes.org/>
>> http://www.MoreThanReflexes.org/on-learning/ <http://www.morethanreflexes.org/on-learning/>

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2