Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:14:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Victoria thanks for that amazing post. Yes -the big picture looks frightening. The history of infant feeding always fascinates me as I am reminded of all the difficulties back then that still remain today-poverty, public status, unethical marketing and ignorance in the medical field.  The perceptions that "value" is linked to money. The belief that breastfeeding is nearly impossible and the disbelief and shock when a mom is exclusively breastfeeding.  One of my moms who is exclusively nursing her 4mo twins ( and who also has a 3 yo) got a standing ovation at her pediatrician office -not that it wasn't nice to acknowledge but they were the first ones to say she couldn't or shouldn't even try it!  Now, she's an anomaly.

Where I live, moms need immediate and timely -pretty much, daily encouragement and support in order to combat the evils that lie ahead. It's like an obstacle course out here or mine field on which they and I am on constant damage control! De-programing a cultural mindset takes time and persistence.  That's why, (as I am sure many of you) chose to create a "community" or "safe haven" for new moms.  I make myself available 24/7 via phone or email/txt -6 days a week at my center and conduct weekly support groups - I have seen no other way to do it over the last 20 yrs. -since it "takes a village" to help make breastfeeding
happen.

Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Chatham, NJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2