Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 15:32:18 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
On the subject of biting and nursing strikes: in my experience, the babies who wean early all have mothers with hyperlactation.  Solve the hyperlactation and you may just have the solution.  Everything else you have suggested sound like great interventions but if this baby is upset about the fast flow, no amount of coaxing is going to make him happy.  Teething pain can make him act like the snarling dog, too.  
How much is this mom pumping?  Are her breasts empty when she finishes pumping?  Perhaps pulling back on the pumping will let her supply settle down enough to make him less stressed at the breast.  Watch for plugged ducts.  CST is a good choice and she should continue that if it is working.
Good luck,
Annie Brown, FNP, IBCLC, LLLL

On Nov 10, 2010, at 2:42 PM, LACTNET automatic digest system wrote:

> Hi all
> Need wisdom!  Permission to post.  Have had phone contact no physical visit with this mom.  2nd baby now 8m, nursed 1st into toddlerhood.  This baby was born under difficult conditions - Apgar 2 at birth, very vigorous suctioning, CPAP, NICU but for only 10hr, mom swears there were no bottles in NICU as he was NPO while there.  After this very eventful arrival baby was exclusively BF, no soothers, no bottles until intro to solids around middle of 1st yr.  Baby has always preferred Lt breast which is slower breast.  Mom has big supply.  Frequent choker, sputterer.  Began to bite about 1 month ago, mom put this down to teething but has become absolutely ALL the time, now on day 11 of nursing strike. Mom pumping to keep up supply.  If offered breast will move as if to nurse then at last minute will bare teeth (like a snarling dog!).  Has drawn blood.  Have tried the standard stuff; skin to skin, letting him decide, no pressure, co-bathing, co-bedding, sleepy nursing, laid back positioning, etc...Mom is a saint as far as I am concerned, she has put up with many many bites.  We discussed her reaction and its role in all of this.  Baby still seems interested.  Two most successful BF attempts have been when with another nursing couple.  Have urged her to get to every LLL mtg, BF drop-in, playgroup, etc... around.  Mom saw CST yesterday and he BF twice yesterday, once prior to CST at baby playgroup (obviously "under the influence") and once after the CST.  Another few pieces of the puzzle that make me think this is not just 'regular' biting: older sib has severe food allergy, dad has had major orthodontic work done in past, baby chokes and gags very very easily on solids, fast flow (remember this kid has always liked the slow breast).  Mom has neice that needed occupational therapy due to feeding issues.  I have spoken to mom about TT but of course since I have not seen babe myself that isn't reliable, it appeared to tweak something for her though.  Is this a 'poor start', oral defence issue? a learned thing? regular biting? Will see them at drop-in on Friday so will know more about TT then. What do I do next?  Just needed to see if I am missing anything.......
> 
> Many thanks
> 
> beth
> 
> Beth McMillan BCs IBCLC LLLL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2