Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 10:56:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
OK, I need expert opinion/information on this.  I have a mother who says that one of her children was allergic to breastmilk and was put on N---------.  This she was told by our children's hospital.  When I tried to explain that it's something that is in the mother's milk that they are allergic to,
not the milk itself, she insisted that this was what she was told and she did not need my information.  Her baby was screaming in the arms of his father and when I explained to mom all the usual stuff (she had breastfed one other child), ie, feeding cues, feed whenever they are hungry-this sets the
milk supply, stages of hunger and all that, she did not want to hear it.  She would not feed her screaming child, whom I pointed out was hungry.  I finally decided maybe this was a power thing and if I left, maybe she'd feed him then, so I did.  She wasn't listening to me anyway!  I spoke to the
Peds doc about this to see what he knew about the family and he felt it was a power thing and was not concerned, since they had two other children who were ok.  He also said a colleague of his HAD been determined to have a child who was allergic to her breastmilk.  He mentioned IgE, but did not
elaborate, saying it's rare, but it does occur.  So I'm asking, what is he talking about?  I looked through Lawrence and Auerbach and both talk about substances IN milk, but not an allergy to milk itself.  I would like to either enlighten the pediatrician or myself, so if anyone can assist me, I'd
love to know more.  Inquiring minds and all that!
TIA,
Marsha, who is still trying to calm myself down from being in a room with a screaming baby whose mother calmly refused to feed it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
John S. C. Abbot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2