Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:38:09 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
These have been marketed in Norway for around ten years, with sugar and with artificial sweeteners, in mint and lemon flavors.  They are sold as throat lozenges for adults or older children, to be taken at the first sign of a cold.  The original product name was "Gone tomorrow", presumably referring to the cold, though some doubters claim it refers to absenteeism resulting from the ineffective first line of treatment.  I share Terriann's scepticism about what could be active after all the processing on the way to tablet form, but I have such faith in colostrum that the placebo effect alone has been adequate to keep me free of colds since these appeared on the market.  I buy a package or two at the first sniffle and take them over a two day period.  What I spend on tablets I save on tissue, not to mention not getting the rest of the cold.  Have done so at least twice a year since 1990 and I don't even care why they work.  It wouldn't occur to me in a million years to give these to a breast fed baby who is getting fresh, live immune protection from the best source possible, several times daily.  They have never been mentioned here as a remedy for babies, and in fact, the advice given to mothers if the baby has a stuffy nose making it hard to nurse, is to squirt a little milk right in the baby's nostrils.  If the stuffiness isn't interfering with breastfeeding, they are advised to ignore it.
Rachel  from the land of the midnight fog, where cow colostrum is the basis of a traditional country dish called "gome" made by cooking down said colostrum (harvested by the gallon at calving time, calves are fed formula), adding cinnamon and raisins and spreading it on bread.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2