Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2014 20:02:47 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Hi I hope you are all well! The hospital I work for is considering adopting a cord toxicology screening instead of meconium screening and is looking to be more consistent with the way care providers respond to a positive drug screen and how that relates to breastfeeding. There is also some concern that an LC or nurse feeding a baby a syringe full of breastmilk from a mother who is positive for marijana may later be held liable. The following is an example of our incosistencies. Right now at my hospital you could have one nurse taking care of 2 patients both with a positve urine drug screen for marijana. One mother is happily breastfeeding her baby because the Dr. gave her the green light and the other is pumping and dumping because of her Dr's decision. We've even had mothers change Dr's while in the hospital so that they could continue to breastfeed with a positive drug screen. I recently found out that we have mothers traveling to our hospital from out of state to avoid universal screening at their hospital. Our research committee came to the breastfeeding advisory committee to find out where they could get the best and most current evidence related to all of this. Any suggestions on where to find the best research would be appreciated. Thank you!
Shanti Volpe, RN, BSN, IBCLC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message and its attachments may contain confidential and/or legally-sensitive information that is intended for the sole use of the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution of the information contained in this message and its attachments is prohibited. If you have received this message or any of its attachments in error, please destroy all originals and copies of the same and notify the sender immediately.  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2