Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:42:06 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
I said:
"<Well, I have a BIG problem with it.  It is conflating SIDS with overlaying.>

Sarah Vaughn responded:
"It isn't even mentioning either, for goodness' sake. It's highlighting the fact that there is an increased risk there."

The poster reads:
"There were three in the bed and the little one said....nothing."    Underneath, it said: "Reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death.  ...For more information on SIDS, call: "

I believe the "three in the bed" reference, with mention of "...if you have been drinking alcohol, or using drugs, implies Rolling Over.
On the other hand, smokers in the bed are associated with SIDS, not overlaying.  So there are two things being blurred together.  That is wrong.  

SIDS is a death of unexplained origin.  NOT a suffocation.  If is a terrible unexplained thing, so far.  But breastfeeding IS protective.  

And, breastfeeding mothers don't roll over on their babies if they are sober and not under influence of drugs.  Anyone else in the bed must be equally clean and sober.  And committed, as McKenna says.  No smokers in the bed.  Because of SIDS- not roll overs. 

McKenna has said that he thinks there are likely no, or miniscule TRUE incidents of breastfeeding mothers absent all of the warning factors rolling over and suffocating their nursling.  I would bet money that this is so.  I can imagine there might be a mother with a sleep disorder of some kind, maybe...but one would assume she would know and adjust accordingly.  Mothers are very careful when they are not under the influence of drugs or alcohol.  Why scare them about suffocation to the point that they are afraid to breastfeed?  

The poster is not even a small step in the right direction, in my opinion.  A MUCH better one is the UNICEF one, which says in part: "Some parents choose to sleep with their baby in bed and some fall asleep  with them during the night while feeding and comforting, whether they intend to or not.  Therefore it is very important to consider the following points." And it goes on to give sensible and familiar (to us) guidelines.  http://www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/Resources/Resources-for-parents/Caring-for-your-baby-at-night/

So to make myself clear.  I think we do a great disservice to breastfeeding mothers when we add-in the spectre of SIDS when we warn-correctly about safe sleeping conditions.  Babies are supposed to sleep with their mothers and nurse ad lib.  That is the default position for humans.  As Helen Ball said: "100 years of rapidly changing infant care fashions cannot alter several million years of evolutionarily derived infant physiology." 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2