Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2002 09:30:51 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
I'm going to go ahead and post the '10 Steps to Successful Bonding" list that I posted about before.  It's still being finalized but I'd welcome some comments about content.  This will be posted in all patient rooms on our postpartum floor.  Remember, it had to be 'politically correct' meaning a few
things were changed a bit by our manager so as not to appear to 'push' (I made the requested changes, but did some rewording myself!)  All in all, I think it's a good beginning in addressing this issue of mom's sending babies back to the nursery.  Mind you, it's just a beginning.  There is much else
to be done!  BTW, I changed the title, too!

Mothers and babies belong together.  We at XXX recognize this fact and offer the following suggestions as you get to know your new baby.  We hope you will take advantage of the wealth of information our staff has to offer as you venture into your new parenting role, whether this is your first child
or your fifth!

1. We offer 24 hour rooming-in.   Try to take advantage of this as much as possible.  This is a wonderful time for you to become acquainted with your new infant. Studies show moms do not get more sleep when their baby stays in the nursery at night than they would if the baby stays in their room.
Studies also show that babies spend more time crying and less time sleeping in the nursery than they do in your room.
2. Get to know your baby's behaviors and what they mean.  The more time you spend with your infant, the sooner you will recognize when your baby wants to interact with you and when they would rather sleep, when they are stressed, in need of quiet time, and when they are hungry. It is now recognized
that babies have amazing abilities to communicate their feelings.  Take advantage of this time together to become acquainted with your baby's cues.
3. Feeding time is an important time for you to become acquainted with your baby. Breastfeeding your baby helps you to bond with your baby by releasing hormones in your body that, research shows, make you feel more protective of your baby.  These hormones also help you feel better rested and able to
cope with the new demands on your time and energy.
4. Babies recognize their parents on several levels.  They know your voice, your smell and your heartbeat.  A crying baby is calmed quickly just by being placed close to its mother.  It is obvious: your presence means the world to your baby!
5. If you are able to room in, your baby will experience a more homelike environment in your room at night.  It is quieter and darker in your room than in the nursery, which may ease the transition to day/night routines when you take your baby home.  Your baby will also enjoy being the only baby in
the room rather than one of several!
Try not to spend a lot of time watching the clock.  Instead, watch your baby.  Newborns aren't ruled by the clock, so the timing and length of their feedings as well as their naps will vary.  This is normal.  In time, you will find a routine that works for both of you, but schedules are not helpful
right now.
7. Limit the amount of company you have these first few days.  Too much company can stress both parents and baby.  This is a getting-to-know-each-other time.  Others can get to know your baby later.  Ask staff if you need help with "traffic control".  Remember that your baby's need to eat is more
important than your company's desire to see and hold your baby.
8. There is no need to worry that you are holding your baby too much.  Most babies love to be held by their families a lot.  This is a time of transition for them since they were used to being "held" 24 hours a day before birth!  They may, however, object to being passed around too much!
9. It is ok to put your baby's needs, and yours, ahead of others' right now.  This is the time to be protective so that you have opportunities to learn how to care for your baby and yourself before you go home.
10. If you feel yourself getting overwhelmed, ask for help.  Our staff would be happy to explain and assist you whenever you need them.    We want to support you in your parenting efforts.

Thanks for the input I got from several people.  What do you think?
Marsha

Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2