Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 11:56:54 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
  Another factor or two we may need to remember when wondering about the link between abuse and EP is the repetitive nature of BF, and the fact that on an emotional level many women may see the baby "demanding" that contact and use of her body; while a woman can often greatly limit sexual contact with a partner, or have some control of what is done and when and where it happens, or dissasociate from it mentally and emotionally, the being present and in contact with one's baby during BF, at baby's request and many times a day, may simply be too overwhelming...especially when paired with the physical contact with her breasts, as sexualized as they are in our culture; and the idea of the baby having that "control" of her body may also bring up issues related to the abuse.  Just my speculation.... also I think we need to give these moms lots of space to decide what works; in my conversations with moms dealing with abuse issues I make sure to talk about the whole spectrum of choices (EP, partial BF, pumping and working up to full BF) and encourage her to keep an open mind and see how she feels once baby is born if it is a prenatal consult; also of course letting her know that EP is perfectly fine, and good for her for being that dedicated to baby's welfare... and I also talk about her choosing to use her body in a positive and non sexual way as being very healing, whether she is pumping or BF or both.
Esther Friedman, RLC, IBCLC, LLLL, mom of 2

www.firstgiving.com/tylermom
There is no greater accomplishment than helping a child...

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2