Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:54:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Jan Cranston posted a couple of prize quotes from the Abbott Feeding Expert (sic) website.  Although I breastfed my children without any real problems. and certainly had a 'steady' suppy in each of my several breasts, I am still trying to figure out which breast they are telling mothers to use.   If I had one of those bracelets you are meant to move from one hand to the other to tell you which breast to use, I would be in huge trouble because I wouldn't have a clue which hand to put that on either, by this 'system'.  Honestly, how can anyone come up with such complicated advice?

"To keep a steady milk supply in each breast, it’s important to switch breasts during feedings. Begin feeding on the breast that was not used last. After five or 10 minutes, try burping your baby, and then offer the second breast for as long as he wants. If he doesn’t seem interested in the second breast, offer that breast first at his next feeding."

So, I have to switch during feeds or my supply will be unsteady.  But it says to start on the side that was 'not used last'.  Does that mean I should start on the side I used first at the previous feed, or the side I didn't use at all last time?  Only, I must have used both or I would have been disobeying the advice and will now risk unsteady supply.  If I start on the side I used first at the previous feed, I will always start on the same side, right?  If my baby doesn't seem interested in the second breast, I am meant to offer it first at the next feeding.  But I am supposed to offer the breast that was NOT used last at this one.  What does 'doesn't seem interested' mean, anyway?  Closes her eyes and snoozes so she seems bored, or fights the breast, or just declines to take it in her mouth at all?  How can I permit this behavior, since it threatens the steadiness of my milk supply?  

Is anyone out there with a clue still telling mothers they must detach a happily feeding baby, burp it, and switch breasts midway in a feed?  Sounds like this site hasn't been updated in this millennium, even.  Could it be that they have a vested interest in breastfeeding failure??

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2