Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2013 12:40:51 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
To me, this "study" showed a not-surprising result.  The article nails it- below:

>>>The keys to this success, the team suggested, may have been the strict limitations placed on the formula feeding: The infants were not given enough to satisfy their appetite for breast milk, using a syringe made sure they didn't learn to prefer bottles to the breast, and having a clear time to end formula use (i.e., when milk came in) made sure mothers didn't slide into offering formula on an ongoing basis.<<<

I am convinced that the two ounce bottles (normally handed to worried parents (or grandmothers) in the hospital on request) are the culprit for most of my WIC parents who end up formula feeding despite their intentions to breastfeed.    As a matter of fact, if I had a magic wand, and could LIMIT all of my WIC babies' supplementation to 10 mls, I would be happy.  But of course, I would make sure, in my magical prowess, that the 10 mls would be human milk.  Would that be so hard?  Or, so terrible?

But let grandma put two ounces into that baby every three hours for the first four days, and if baby is exclusively breasfeeding at a week, I am amazed.  It doesn't happen very often.

Formula makers should be required to supply 10 ml pre-filled syringes for hospital supplementation, immediately.  

Then we will have a much easier time "weaning" grandma away from those tiny little syringes, don't you think? ;-)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2