Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:21:10 +-10-30
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
Just a further note about Professor Short. Professor Short is Professor of Physiology at Monash University in Melbourne Australia. One of his more recent articles is Short RV et al, Contraceptive effects of extended lactational amenorrhoea: beyond the Bellagio Consensus, Lancet, Vol 337:march 23, 1991 715-717.

He is a wonderful breastfeeding advocate. He encourages all of his medical students to undertake projects relating to breastfeeding. He has spoken at two conferences I have attended. The first was in the Australian Capital Territory and was opened by the ACT Minister of Health. Prof. Short was the first speaker after the conference was opened. He bet the ACT Minister of Health $20 that he couldn't get an article on breastfeeding on the front page of the Canberra daily newspaper for the following day.
Well, he lost the bet because he only managed a large article with picture on page 2!!
However, I think that every radio station and every TV station picked up the story that night. I was also speaking at this conference and he dragged me in front of the TV cameras as well!

The second conference was one I helped organise here in South Australia. We organised a press release quoting Prof. Short that all tins of formula should have a warning label on them similar to cigarette packets ( for example Formula feeding will increase your baby's risk of cot death., Formula Feeding poses a health hazard to your baby.etc ) Well, I can tell you we got some amazing press coverage for that conference.

Laureen Lawlor-Smith
BMBS IBCLC

ATOM RSS1 RSS2