Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2013 06:21:14 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I work in a smaller community hospital and I have a question for those of you that are RN's and work in hospitals. Just wondering how your staffing situation works? Are you considered to be dedicated Lactation coverage, meaning you can't be pulled to work somewhere else? Or if it gets busy in OB are you required to work in Postpartum sometimes?

I'm the only IBCLC at my hospital and I work four days a week, but if we are busy I'm often pulled to go work in L&D or postpartum, so normally that means we have lactation maybe about 2 days a week, which is really disappointing. Just wondering if other hospitals also do this, too?

I have been in contact with a local IBCLC and also with a peer counselor who are not RN's. I'm hoping that my hospital will consider hiring them each for a couple days per week because then they will be dedicated only to Lactation and can't be pulled somewhere else. My hospital would like to eventually become baby-friendly, but I keep telling them that we need more LC coverage, like 6 to 7 days a week that can't be floated.

Thanks for you help,

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2