Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:09:01 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I would like to respond on the thread of "minutes" a baby should be feeding. I think most of us tell Mom's to "watch the baby not the clock", think it is fine if a baby doesn't nurse a lot in the first 24 hours. Look at the wide variation, of suggestions (I am not sure if these are policies) that we have read about in the past few days. I don't think babies are different, in different parts of the world, although their birthing experiences might be.

I think the biggest problem is documentation and hospital policies.  Most policies have "minutes" and "time between feedings" listed in the policy. Policies are in place for the well-being of the baby, or else "anything goes". Nurses have to document that the baby is nursing so he doesn't get dehydrated and hypoglycemic.  In the 24 to 48 hours after birth, before discharge, a baby has to learn to nurse, not lose too much weight, void and stool. Mothers, many nurses, many physicians, feel the more the better, and feel supplementation is necessary when a baby doesn't nurse X number of minutes (5?, 10?, 20?)  Hopefully a good latch is observed and documented. How do we write a good policy that is best for mothers and babies, make sure the baby is really feeding adequately, and will please the Pediatricians? 

Dianne RN IBCLC
Frustrated in Florida  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2