Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:39:21 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
It seems that a BIG piece of information is missing here: What is the baby's weight gain like? 

If he is gaining an appropriate amount of weight, then the idea that he is 'unsatisfied' with the amount of milk is not likely.  He may be unsatisfied with the amount of time at the breast, or in his mothers arms.  

And I agree with Heather that she may be downregulating her supply over the past few weeks if she is giving him 2 oz of formula (was that after every feeding?).  Again, to follow up on Heathers question, did she try nursing the baby again when he cries, or does she feel "oh, I must not have anything left so I must give him a bottle"? This is a commom belief among mothers, and really should be addressed.

Also, how old is this baby? Going to one stool a day is perfectly normal in a baby of a certain age. (Many breastfed babies don't even stool every day; also normal).

I don't find the advice to pump milk and look for the higher fat milk to be especially helpful or evidence-based.

Jamelle Lyons, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2