Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:02:07 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I know this may not be the place to discuss dental issues, but from my child's personal experience - not having a frenulum clipped can lead to other issues besides breastfeeding ones.  My child has had inordinate issues with cavities from failure of the tongue to clean the teeth, headaches, and tiring when needing to speak for long periods (phone triaging, lecturing etc.).  He has often stated he wished I had had his tongue "fixed" as a baby.  It's a much bigger deal at 26!  Ask dentists about long-term issues.  Tongue issues are not just a breastfeeding issue. 

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Spitzfaden

Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:36 PM

Subject: Re: Non-Insulin Resistant PCOS, Milk Supply, Fussy Baby

Thanks for all the feedback.

Pat, I am not ready to suggest lowering milk supply at this time. Baby has too many other issues that may be relying on oversupply (if Mom even has oversupply). I have found that during the first weeks of breastfeeding it is not a good idea to lower supply and that a full drainage in the morning helps most babies to handle milk flow and also gives information about supply. If mom expresses more than 5-7 ounces, first thing in the morning, I am more inclined to lean toward oversupply and if less, then I am more inclined to consider other reasons for poor latch, clicking and choking. I can also assess Baby's ability to handle a slower flow without compromising supply so early. By 3 months, things tend to regulate and Mom can drop the early morning pumping if the only issue was oversupply.

Jane and Melinda, I am concerned that Baby's issues may be due to structural issues outside of the frenulae. He has a very asymmetrical gum-line and I think some CST may help with latching issues and then we can see if the frenulae are still an issue and the parents can decide if they want to pursue revision. I want to see if the CST can help baby to open wider and I think the uneven elevation, lateralization and gum-line may indicate torticollis which may be at least a contributing reason for the poor latch.

I also am not convinced that he is tongue-tied. He elevates well and his frenulum is longer than the typical tt baby. I am fortunate, however that the provider I recommend to parents for revision totally has my back. She catches posterior TT even when I am not sure. If they go for the LT revision, I have every confidence that any posterior TT will be detected and revised.

Laura Spitzfaden, LLLL, IBCLC, APL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2