Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:06:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Many, many thanks to all who responded to my request both privately and to the group.  I was able to combine most of your ideas and suggestions.  Lisa J., I think you really helped to steer my thoughts.  I started with the homemade vs. store bought choc. chip cookies.  A real hit.  Opened with how in this society breastfeeding is a matter of choice.   With the correct information it is much easier to make an informed decision.  Also pointed out with the cookies that nothing compares to "homemade" and anything else is but a poor imitation of the real thing.  We did a lot of myth busting.  Went into to discussing how the female body was designed to breastfeed and the newborn was designed to breastfeed.  Tried to get across the idea that breastfeeding is the norm not bottle/ formula feeding.  We also discussed how the advertising media impacts our decisions.  By being smart consumers and being well informed we can make decisions that will impact our lives and the lives of our children.  It was a lot of fun and the kids I think enjoyed it.
Oh, also discussed the cost of bottle feeding vs. breastfeeding.  
Jeanette P., I did have one gal who delivered last summer and bottle fed so her mom could feed the baby when she returned to school.  It is sad that these girls have to return to school so quickly.  The teacher stated that our school gives only two weeks off to new student moms.  How tragic.  Catherine W-G?  I think it was you who pointed me to the celebs who breastfeed or were bf, my apologies if it was someone else.  Anyway, I printed that off for the class and they really enjoyed seeing some familiar names.
My goal now is to contact another area IBCLC to perhaps set up a program that will target our other county schools.  Someone mentioned the impact we can have on these young minds.  I agree wholeheartedly.  Perhaps by reaching these young minds and present to them the fact that breastfeeding is the norm, maybe they will make the decision to breastfeed.  At least they will be given the proper information to make that all important decision.
Darilly S., I did give the AIDS problem a thought and was ready for it but we never made it that far.  I plan to incorporate into my next speech with the next class.  There is just so much information it's hard narrow down what to cover.  I did find that some of the gals were a little shy.  Someone mentioned about passing out pencils and notepaper for questions.  I'm thinking about having some breastfeeding pencils made up for just that.  Perhaps that will help with the shyness of asking a so called "stupid" question.
Thanks again to everyone for your ideas and support.

Most Sincerely,

Anita Fouse, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2