Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 2015 06:47:31 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
I am curious. Are there any studies indicating that maternal intake of fenugreek and other herbal galactagogues are present in her milk enough so as to affect the blood sugars of her premature infant? Or are we just being cautious?

What about those mothers who have fenugreek as a part of their diet? Are they also turned away from donating their milk to milk banks?

I know some hospitals here do not encourage the use of fenugreek to increase milk supply, though none have ever been able to tell me why when I have asked. I know others here do not limit fenugreek. I have not heard of an excessive number of lower blood sugars in their premature babies in either case. (Hardly a research study, but perhaps that is what we are missing here? Good research to give us a clearer understanding). 

What about a mother who has a premature baby, is using fenugreek and wants to use her milk for her baby? Do we tell her she cannot because of the fenugreek and then use formula? I am finding this quite fascinating, it can play out in so many different ways. 

As for a women not having faith in her body, it is simply a product of our society here in Western America. As soon as a woman becomes pregnant, and accesses the health system for care, we tell her what she is doing wrong and what she cannot do. Her DO NOT DO list is so long as to cover many pages. Then, when she comes into hospital to give birth, we take all power away from her. We do not encourage her to follow any gut feelings or instincts she may have. In fact, most times we laugh at her or about her for having a birth plan, or any sort of ideas about how she would like to experience her baby's birth. We will often do things to her that have no purpose, except that we have always done them, or what happens if...

Once her baby is born we give her another DO NOT DO list. The list is long and everyone out there feels they can comment on it. Mothers are told by strangers what they are doing wrong while they parent, everyone feels they have a say in raising this baby. Even governments get in on the lets tell mothers what not to do game. 

So yes, mothers lose faith in themselves and their bodies, we can hardly blame them. And then, when they feel they need to take something to help with their milk supply, we get sad, and wonder why they don't have faith, and some of us may even blame that mother for not having faith....

Sonya
Who is apparently feeling a little discouraged this morning, but by the time she gets to work, will be in full cheerleader mode, since cheer-leading makes up 80% of her work with breastfeeding mothers.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2