Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 00:09:56 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I got an interesting call yesterday - a mom of a 1 year old asking about starting milk as she has been exclusively breastfeeding and was not sure how to introduce it. We got to talking more - she had her 1st baby when she was 16 and did not breastfeed because - well, in her own words: "I was young and didn't know any better". That first baby is now 13; this baby was her fourth - and she is working as a CNA - commuting - but had not given up on breastfeeding. She pumps at work and feeds her baby at her breast when she is home. She is going to keep breastfeeding because she absolutely "loves it" - so much easier and her baby is doing great. She is such a advocate - and a postive role model to others at her job. She was willing to come and talk to other moms - on her DAY OFF - to share her experiences. She closed with a rather eye-opening revelation: "you know" she said, "often I would have extra breastmilk; I didn't want to waste it. Recently my 13 year old daughter asked if she could mix it with regular milk and use it in her cereal at breakfast." The mom said "sure" - her daughter started doing so and said "I just feel that I do so much better - can concentrate at school when I do that". Hmmm - nothing at all wrong with it. Maybe breastmilk does provide benefits even after the first year or two. I told the mom: "really its OK - keep letting your daughter do it if she wants". Doesn't the brain continue to develop as children grow - and isn't breastmilk the most awesome brain food? I looked back at this mom's WIC history - she has been on and off WIC since 2002 - the year her 13 year old would have been born. WIC can make a difference.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2