Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:11:45 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I need the assistance of the group wisdom.  I have been a reader of LACNET for years, but haven't posted in about 10 years. I have a patient that I am working with, that is having problems with her milk initiation. I have her permission to post this email.  She is 34 YO, professionally a nurse anesthetist.  G3 P3, She delivered natural triplets on 12/15.  She was started pumping within 12 hours of delivery (I know this is late, but for this hospital is very good), and since has pumped an average of 8 times daily with the preemie programmed symphony.  Her Triplets were 34 weeks gestation and a good size at 2.0, 2.4 and 1.92 K.  Her previous deliveries were in 2009, and 2007.  With both previous children she had a solid milk supply which came in quickly. She breastfed the first for 8 mos, and pumped for an additional 4 mos with enough surplus milk to last over 2 additional months. With the second baby she nursed for 14 mos. At day 5 yesterday, she is still only pumping drops to the largest volume of 10 mL.

Her pregnancy was significant for anemia and she received several iron infusions, at delivery her hemoglobin was 9.8. Her breasts are soft, with no indication of filling.  She has some dependent edema, most notable in her ankles, but nothing really outrageous.  I am stumped?  Why isn't she getting her milk in? Please let me know what you think, or what to do.
Denise Breheny, RNC-MNN, IBCLC
Charlotte, NC

This electronic message may contain information that is confidential and/or legally privileged. It is intended only for the use of the individual(s) and entity named as recipients in the message. If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer. Do not deliver, distribute or copy this message, and do not disclose its contents or take any action in reliance on the information it contains. Thank you.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2