Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:49:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hello All,
    If you recall, my daughter's teacher (6th grade) sent home notices requesting certain baby items
be brought in for making gift bags to donate to a local hospital.  I'm not sure how I managed to confuse 
several of you into thinking her name must begin with "B" since she was asked to bring in a bottle, but 
anyway, here is the letter that I sent along with 6 sippy cups and 6 bars of baby soap (she'd only been
asked to bring ONE bottle!)
    Dear Teacher,
        I'm the parent of Katie Morris.  I'm very pleased with how she's doing in middle school, and know
that your teaching must play a large role in her progress academically.  I'm grateful that you have also 
chosen a charity for the holidays in order to help your students become aware of civic responsibilities 
and the need to help those less fortunate.  Certainly, as an employee of both the Kanawha County
WIC program and the Lifebridge Parents As Teachers Program, I am well aware of the many needs 
in our community.
        You may notice that the items I've sent to contribute to the infant gift bags are not those that were
 recommended for Katie, and I wish to explain this choice. As the result of having breastfed my own children, 
and my work as a board-certified lactation consultant, I cannot, in good conscience, contribute bottles to any 
charity, no matter how worthy.  There are many studies, which I can happily supply you with at your request, 
which document the negative effects that early introduction of bottles has on breastfeeding.  Helping
disadvantaged parents to provide bottles for their infants will not prove helpful in the long run as it increases
their child's risks of contracting many illnesses..  I invite you to view, at your leisure, the following informative
website, which will, perhaps, help you understand the many reasons for my feelings.  The address is
www.promom.org/101 .
        Thank you for reading my concerns.  I will be happy to speak with you at any time.
Sincerely,
Jenny Z. Morris,  needless to say, I've not heard from the teacher!  Thanks to many lactnetters for the
suggestions you sent.  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2