Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:56:24 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I've searched not very successfully on this.  I would like help from anyone who can give specific guidelines on the timing of Vit K injections and eye prophylaxis for newborns post delivery.  The AAP BF guidelines recommend delaying these routine meds until after first BFing but they dont give a time frame as to how long is TOO long to delay these meds.  The ABM site suggests not longer than an hour and I was surprised to see that.  I wonder if  the hour is for the eye prophylaxis specifically?  

I am trying to get nurses to do this where I work and am getting resistance.  One problem is that once the butt is repaired by the OB 30 minutes may have gone by already- and then grandma and the 15 cousins waiting outside just have to come in and hold baby!!   SO at one hour of age a baby usually hasnt begun BFing much less completed an initial feed.  Obviously we need to work on that as a priority but I also wanted to get nurses out of the habit of routinely giving these meds to newborns before mom has a chance to initiate bonding/breastfeeding.

Now I am getting questions- how long can we delay these meds and I haven't had luck finding a good answer!  Any resources would be appreciated.

In my humble opinion- delaying 1 hour is hardly worth it- and most of my nursing colleagues will probably agree.

Mary Herrington RN
Breastfeeding Educator
St Lukes CMC
The Woodlands, Texas

---------------------------------
 Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million songs. Try it free.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2