Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:21:27 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I have three children and all three rec. my milk. My first was 6 weeks early, delivered via C-section.  I didn't see him until the next day, but I began to pump within hours of delivery with the hospital electric pump.  He was born on Wed afternoon weighing 4 lbs 13 oz.  He started out taking only 3 ccs of milk via bottle. He wasn't on a vent ever, but the Dr didn't want me to BF directly--wish I had--I pumped around the clock for him, finally my milk came in on Sat.  I could have fed a small country. I was released from the hospital with just the manual pump.  I only used the electric when I was at the hospital. I loved my Medela two handed b/c I could adjust it.  We did attempt to latch him on at 5 days old-no LC, just me and the NICU nurse who'd never BF herself.  He just got angry, so I made the decision to just pump --I didn't care how he got it, just that he got it. I wish I had been more persistent.  He had ear infections etc. the ped told me b/c he was bottle fed.  I got several infections (b/c I had too much milk and the manual wasn't getting it all out, I used to pump into two 9 oz bottles. Filling them both up at each pumping session.  Yes, I am a dairy cow, an exception to the myth about ppl with PCOS and low milk supply by the way)
Anyway, I kept pumping with the manual for 9 months and finally when milk was coming out the areola and it was painful to pump (b/c flange was too small--if I knew then what I know now) and he began to get partial formula BM at each feeding. I had enough stored until he was 12 months old. Once the formula was introduced, he had multiple double ear infections, bronchilitlis, URIs...put on the nebulizer.  So many illnesses!  18 months after he was born, my daughter was born.  SHe was full term and I nursed about 2 hours after the csection.  She was a marathoner--cracked and bleeding nipples came as soon as we were home.  I was in so much pain, I got mastitis, so I pumped with the manual and let myself heal for a couple days.  She went back to the breast and went straight to the sippy cup. I was it for her--no pacifiers either. NOt that I didn't try!  She was never sick, in fact, at 61/2 she has had two ear infections!  In 2003 (3 years after Lizzie) our 3rd was born via C-section. I nursed him within 30 mins of the section-great nurse!  I was in recovery and she brought him to me.  He had a strong suck, we had minor latch issues, but got them worked out. He is almost 4 now and has not been ill but a few times even with the older kids being in school. I ran a mother's day out program and went back at 8 weeks, him in tow and he was around sickness all the time.  He is so healthy. 

I feel for you with your children with special needs. My oldest is hyper and has attention deficit-the other two don't have these issues. But he got formula.

My sister in law has 3 children and they were not BF-oldest bipolar, ADD/HD, 2nd dislexia ADD/HD, 3rd Autism/MR.

I try to educate everyone of the dangers of formula--the companies try to hide the deficiencies so well. I will be earning my BS in Human Lactation and plan to do my research on formula companies and they lies they tell.

OK, I was wordy-but I can talk all day. I am so passionate about this issue-this is my calling.  Have a blessed day,Merideth M. Buell, BFPCDSHS [log in to unmask]  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2