Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2017 12:25:42 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Erin,

First, congratulations on completing your PhD and on your research on a very important topic. Many of us are very interested in your findings and their implications for practice.

Journal of Human Lactation is an obvious place to submit your research. I’m sure others will have other great suggestions for journals. I am also ccing Marion Rice and Kimberly Sears Allers on this email. I don’t know if they are on Lactnet, but I do know that they are very interested in this area, and will have some valuable input.

I can think of two good reasons for a 2K word limit on articles. There is a lot of excellent research to publish. 1. Journal space is limited and 2. People’s attention span is limited. The format of a dissertation is not the same as the format of journal articles. You have completed the first step, dividing the research into three topics each of which is well worth publishing. The next challenge is thinking carefully about what you think readers need to know about the topic in general and what your research will add to their knowledge. This will involve distilling your work, topics about which you have deep and broad knowledge, into their essence for others to learn from and use. That, too, is part of the creative research process. Not only does this bring your very important work to others who need to know of it, it will further deepen your own understanding of your work and the field. When I finished my dissertation on breastfeeding and the workplace, also qualitative research, I found that I needed some time, some distance from the dissertation writing, before I could bring the findings to publishable form.

Good luck, happy to continue the conversation off line, if I can be of help.

Naomi

=================================

Date:    Tue, 28 Mar 2017 16:45:16 +0000

From:    "Echols, Erin T. (CDC/OPHPR/OD) (CTR)" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

Subject: Lactation Journal Suggestions for Publishing Articles on IBCLC Equity Issues

Hi all,

I recently completed my PhD in Sociology and defended my dissertation related to lactation. The study includes 3 articles that are based on interviews with 36 IBCLCs across the US. The first article looks at barriers to certification - with a particular focus on barriers for people of color, low-income candidates and candidates who are not already IBCLE recognized providers. The second article looks at discrimination that IBCLCs of color face in the workplace and patient discrimination that IBCLCs report. I link these two and provide suggestions for organizations to address racial bias. Finally, the last article looks at how IBCLCs both medicalize and demedicalize breastfeeding and the structural barriers that keep IBCLCs relatively powerless to demedicalize - particularly in hospital settings.

I could publish these in Sociology journals of course, but would prefer to get them out to the IBCLC community through Lactation-specific professional journals. I have looked at some journals, but many have a 2000 word limit, for example. That is difficult to work with given the qualitative nature of this study. I am curious if anyone has suggestions for journals that may be relevant and interested in one of these areas.

Thanks so much for your help!

Erin Thomas Echols, PhD, MA

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

erinvechols.com<http://erinvechols.com>

------------------------------------------

Naomi Bar-Yam Ph.D.

Executive Director

Mothers' Milk Bank Northeast

President

Human Milk Banking Association of North America

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

office: 617-527-6263

direct line: 617-340-3600

www.milkbankne.org

www.facebook.com/mmbne<http://www.facebook.com/mmbne>

@MMBNorthEast

------------------------------------------

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be privileged and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply and delete the message without saving, copying or disclosing it.  Thank you.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2