Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2014 22:16:31 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I have a G3P3 mother whose baby was delivered at 35+1 week gestation after a spontaneous rupture of membranes. She will be one month old tomorrow. Mother states she had lots of milk with her first (7y.o) but didn't breastfeed at that time. With her second, now 3 y.o. she had no milk come in, she tried pumping but it was not successful. She could not tell me what kind of pump she had other than it was electric. With this current child, she was covering the bottom of the colostrum bottle by discharge and she was pumping every two hours while awake and once at night. There is nothing unusual about her breasts, she has not had any surgery, injury and she is on no medication. We were able to get a good electric breastpump for her but there was a delay in the delivery. During that time she pumped by hand. She reported that she was engorged for about 24 hrs and then her supply dropped. She is pumping every two hours while awake, she starts out with 10-15 cc combined with the first pumping and barely gets 5 cc at the end of the day. I am not concerned with the decrease over the day. Her physician checked for retained placenta which she does not have and her prolactin level is normal. She has been using galactogogues. Her wish is to pump enough milk so that she can store it "like her friends". Today I asked her not to focus on amount but on the fact that she is getting milk out. What am I missing? Any thoughts?
Christine

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2