Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2015 15:11:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Hi Rachel,
I am working on a couple of posts for the ABM blog on anesthesia and breastfeeding, and hope to have them finished in the next couple weeks -- one on background and one on practical considerations.  It was becoming too long as one post!  Will send a link when they're up.  I also did a podcast for the ABM series by Dr. Anne Eglash a couple years ago (I don't have the link handy but it's easily found via the ABM website homepage www.bfmed.org or by searching on iTunes).  I can add "patient education handout" to my list of academic projects for the next few months too! 

In the meantime, Dr. Ann Witt has a nice patient-oriented section on her website you can refer patients to:

http://bfmedneo.com/resources/education/medical-procedures-while-breastfeeding/

Besides the ABM Protocol on Anesthesia and Analgesia for the Breastfeeding Mother, freely available at www.bfmed.org, there are 2 other good review articles I know about:

	Dalal P, Bosak J, & Berlin C.  Safety of the breast-feeding infant after maternal anesthesia.  Pediatric Anesthesia. 2014 Apr; 24(4): 359-371

	Dumphy D.  The Breastfeeding Surgical Patient.  AORN Journal, 2008 Apr; 87(4): 759-70

The AORN one can be found for free via the AORN Journal website, but I seem to remember needing to register as a guest to access it.

I'll be speaking on this topic in a few weeks at a breastfeeding conference in NJ if you want to hear more in person. :)

Best,
Sarah Reece-Stremtan MD (pediatric anesthesiologist in Washington DC)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2