Date:         Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:39:26 

To: <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Re: Funning on the corner

thank you, susan!

nina

2009/11/24 Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>:

> Dear all:

>

> I am deeply shocked and completely upset at the characterization of women as "funning on the corner".  I'm not sure whether the poster meant to denigrate prostitutes, which means that should be considered "immoral" which means a huge lack of understanding a out the fact that many prostitutes have not "chosen" the profession willingly and research has shown an association with high levels of abuse -- or women "funning on the corner" because she thinks that casual sex is immoral and again is making judgments about these women without knowing anything at all about their family, social, or cultural backgrounds.  Sometimes women are promiscuous because they have been abused.  Sometimes women are promiscuous because they enjoy sex and are not ready for or simply don't want a committed relationship.  But I find the characterization of women "funning on the corner" to be extremely sexist.  Where is the corresponding comment about men coercing women and young girls to have unwanted sex? or "funning on the corner"?  And it could even be that the women "funning on the corner" merely enjoy flirting.  Since I wasn't on the corner I don't know and even if I was on that corner, I might not be able to tell what was going on with those women "funning on the corner".

>

> This comment immediately brought on a flashback of the woman on the subway who tried to steal my computer with the bump and snatch.  She was well dressed and white.  I started suspecting her because she was talking about a bag on the floor and the way she was talking sounded strange.  The train was so crowded that in order ot fit, I had to put my computer bag on the floor between my feet.  I clenched my feet together tighter because I thought something was wrogn.  When indeed I got the bump and she snatched my bag, I was ready and grabbed it right back.  She immediately went on attack mode without my having said anything about "well, do I look like a thief?"  In the packed subway car with people from all corners of the globe, I thought to myself "does she really think that because she's white and well-dressed she can make that sort of comment when she so clearly grabbed the bag from between my legs?"  I just ignored her.

>

> I am all too often deeply disappointed in the moral characterization of people who get disease as somehow "bad" because they didn't have "the right attitude", the "proper diet", or "acceptable lifestyle".  Instead, we should be considering the barriers on all levels and helping to remove as many of the barriers as we can.  Many years back, Richard Manoff did an excellent presentation about not "blaming the mother".  He went through the old UNICEF list of things mothers were supposed to do for their infants and put it in concrete terms of what she really would have to do to accomplish the list.  It quickly became apparent even to those of us who did not have children (which I didn't at the time) that it was impossible for a mother to do alone.  Thinking along these lines did create a shift in nutrition education away from the moralistic lectures about feeding the "right" foods and preparing them in the "right" way to strategies that address the support systems for the mothers.  Some of the most successful strategies involved getting men and grandmothers involved.

>

>

> Susan Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

>

>             ***********************************************

>

> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

> COMMANDS:

> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

>

-- 

Because the Medieval Church, with the support of kings, princes and

secular authorities, controlled medical education and practice, the

Inquisition constitutes, among other things, an early instance of the

"professional" repudiating the skills and interfering with the rights

of the "nonprofessional" to minister to the poor. -Thomas Szasz, The

Manufacture of Madness-

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2