Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 10:11:41 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
This is a short response to various posts on the IBCLC credential.  I think it is good to raise the issue of people with no valid training or credential in the lactation speciality calling themselves "lactation consultants".  If each of us on Lactnet  keeps work colleagues, other professionals and local mothers informed, that's a lot of people in many locations round the world promoting the profession.  The better the credential is known, and the amount of study, experience and recertification is understood, the less chance people without appropriate qualifications will have for passing themselves off as LCs.  We can all, in our own communities, work towards the day when mothers and institutions will ask a claimant to the "lactation consultant" role, "Ah, but are you an IBCLC?"
    As for IBCLCs who have never breastfeed, I don't think this need be an issue to the well-trained person with a commitment.  Maintaining the high standards for certification and recertification should weed out the majority who don't have what it takes.
    I am going NOMAIL right now, for the next few weeks.  Any replies to me personally, please.
         Virginia,
          in cloudy Brisbane

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2