Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:45:01 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Dear all:

Just wanted to comment that the evidence does seem to support that this particular nurse-in for
the View had the intended effect.  One more celebrity will be much more cautious about her
comments about breastfeeding.  Just think of the impact that complaints have had on the news
media in the US recently.  Reporters are now being taken to task for not fully verifying information
from one informant and the nurse-in seemed to have the same impact on Barbara Walters.  This IS
an important step forward because the news media does shape public opinions.  Its great that the
shift has been from "lactivists" and "radicals" to "underdogs".  While it may be quite true that some
nurse-ins backfire, it appears this one didn't.

As with any intervention, nipple shields, the SNS, the Lactaid, nursing in bed 24/7 - all can work
well in the right circumstances and all can backfire when used inappropriately.  We need to
analyze the appropriate use.

I do not feel that it is appropriate to only focus on the warm and fuzzy.  This has not worked for
the terminology "breastfeeding is best" because the "but formula is just as good" has worked
despite the fact that the two statements are completely inconsistent. It also is not working for the
very difficult issue of toxins in breastmilk.  Despite the best intentions of some of the groups
working on this, as I have stated before, the message that gets out is "toxic breast milk".  The
research of the Ad Council has shown that you have to put things in terms of "risks of not
breastfeeding".  Similarly, I think there is an appropriate time and place for activism.  Protesting
has historically been considered a right in the United States and not a radical process.

To update you on my belated phone call to FAO Schwartz - the response from the receptionist
when I brought up that I wanted to find out about their policies on breastfeeding in the store -
was immediate.  She stated in no uncertain terms that women should be able to breastfeed there
and was fully informed of the NY State Legislation.  The manager will be calling me back.  So, it
appears that the phone calls have had an impact significant enough to reach down to the level of
store receptionists.  Congratulations to all of you who were quicker than I in checking in and
calling about this matter.  It does seem that this has made a difference too.

Best regards, Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2