Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:26:27 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Paula,
    I haven't seen the thread on "kneading".  However, it is something I discuss regularly with my Mums.  Here's why:
    Some years ago I had a Mum whose baby used to head-butt the breast some minutes into a feed.  She asked me why, and I explained that this is what I've observed calves and goat kids doing, to bring another let-down (MER).
    As head-butting isn't a common behaviour in human babies, that set me thinking about what human babies do, to achieve the same purpose.  Observation indicated that they soon learned to press in with their little fists --> Mum looked down at the touch and saw the cute little hand --> she had a let down (MER) --> the baby started drinking again.
     If a Mum is nervous or not letting down, I take the baby's hand (with permission) and place it on her breast, and apply gentle pressure, just enough for her to be aware fo it.  The above scenario usually follows.  I then explain.  Even when the mother is conscious of the above, it still seems to work.  If her baby has figured out this way of "priming the pump" for herself/himself, I talk about how clever s/he is, already.  The mother smiles about how clever her tiny baby is - and "whoosh" goes her MER.
     All the above is based on very many observations.  Wrtiing this, I wish I had recorded my observations and made a study of it, instead of just applying them.
     When I read the word "kneading" it took me a few moments to work out what you meant, Paula.  I'd describe the more vigorous efforts as "kneading", but often it is a more gentle action.
           Virginia

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2