Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 22:53:54 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
[The article below is about letters that were received in response to this article (already posted to Lactnet):
Lactation Today, Tomorrow, Forever
Posted 5/25/2006 in West Virginia's The State Journal
Lawmakers often take the easy path rather than work on the important issues facing the Mountain State.
http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=11147&catid=159
Janice Reynolds]

West Virginia's The State Journal 
http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=11621&catid=181

The newspaper business is unpredictable. Of all the topics The State Journal has taken on during the past few years, breastfeeding has evoked the most reader response. 

Political editor Chris Stirewalt's column in the May 26 issue prompted more than 40 e-mail letters to the editor. He maintained that public breastfeeding is one more phony issue the Legislature will be pressured into addressing. 
All but one or two of the letters are from women; many are from out of state. We now have published seven letters on the topic. 

Here are some observations: 
Not all women share the letter writers' sentiments. While most if not all of The State Journal's female staff members understand the value of breastfeeding, they seem to agree that common sense applies to how mothers feed their children. 
Some of the letter writers project an almost militant attitude in their advocacy of public breastfeeding. They certainly have that right. Meanwhile, the vast majority of breastfeeding women will go quietly about caring for their children -- and they'll do it in public. 
I wish mothers would unite to demand that West Virginia's political leadership support policies that allow our young people to find employment and stay in West Virginia. That seems to be a worthy cause to me, and I believe mothers could get the attention of the decision-makers. I'd like to see mothers storm the Capitol as advocates for a robust economy -- one that can support their children in their home state.
Dan Page is editor and publisher of The State Journal. He can be reached at (304) 720-6512 or [log in to unmask] 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2