Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:51:30 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
I have been trying to catch up on reading Lactnet, and have been particularly interested in a couple of  posts on unpasteurised donor milk.
In Melbourne, Australia where I live, we have been working for some years to get a human milk bank.  It is still in the future (sigh!), but I am happy to say that some NICU units are accepting breast milk from a donor if the mother 'demands' it.  I say demands, because the option is not advertised, and the woman has to know what she is asking for and who to speak to.  
So women who expect there may be a problem with early supply - eg, major breast surgery, insulin-dependent diabetes, severe pre-eclampsia, HIV - have been able to organise a donor, who has blood taken for serological testing, and is given simple advice about expressing and storing milk for donation.  The hospital can develop its own procedure and protocols.  There is a lot of nervousness here about babies being given milk from the wrong mother by mistake, so the issue of labelling and handling has to be addressed.

This seems to me to be the sort of information that should be available to all women whose babies are deemed in need of supplementation, so that they can make informed choices.  Sure we don't have a milk bank, but there are alternatives.  I find that women appreciate having options presented.  It has a lot to do with the question of who has authority.  It's really the same issue that has been discussed recently about carers obtaining permission to touch or to carry out a procedure.

Joy Johnston
Midwife and Lactation Consultant
[log in to unmask]
www.webrider.net.au/~aitex/joy.htm

ATOM RSS1 RSS2