Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2017 05:29:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Dear All, 

The more I mull on this issue, the more strongly I feel this mother needs to get a second opinion.  What happens if/when the baby gets a cold?  breathing is going to be a big issue!  It sounds to me like the baby is compensating as best he can to allow him to breathe while feeding.  I'm guessing the baby chomps at the bottle nipple in order to breathe and that is why mom has such pain when feeding with or without the shield.  There are many options that we, as IBCLCs can offer to help with achieving better breastfeeding, but if the root cause is not addressed, those suggestions cannot accomplish what they might if the baby did not have have obstructed air flow from the adenoids.

Tongue-tie has long been ignored as a problem because bottle-feeding children could feed just fine, and the solution for breastfeeding mothers in pain was to just pump and give her milk by bottle.  That solved a symptom but not the root cause.  This seems similar to me.

I can understand the reluctance of having surgery and putting a baby under anesthesia.  Yet, we also know that babies do have surgery at even younger ages when the issue requires it.  Waiting until a baby is so congested with a cold that breathing is even more difficult would not be optimum and could be even more threatening to the overall health and outcome. I would suggest seeing a pediatric ENT for a second opinion.

Cindy Garrison BS IBCLC
practicing in Pittsburgh PA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2