Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:58:37 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
This is flying a bit of a kite but it occured to me reading about this that humna milk must go sour as it hasn't been pastuerised. According to my late FIL sour milk from other animals is often considered to be a delicacy and is regarded as quite safe to drink - in fact it is more digestible than normal raw milk because the things that have made it sour have broken down the protiens. Having two friends on another board whose babies where on special formulas cos they were having difficulty digesting even the protiens in breastmilk I cant haelp wondering if maybe there is potentail food for research here. I mean human milk with theprotien broken down must be better than cows milk. ANd I have it on good authority that specila formulas often stink to high heaven and that one of the challenges of feeding them is not letting on to the baby that you think his food is disgusting.
Peppermint Oil - I have a parenting magazine article here taht actually recommends massaging peppermint oil (in a carrier oil) onto the breasts to reduce supply. That comes from an aromatherapist. BTW one of the naturopaths recommends eating garlic to improve the baby's appetite.
Pacifiers - the only one of my children who ever accepted one for any length of time had a shocking suck for the first few weeks. The nipple trauma was one of the reasons I tried it in desperation to get a break. However in mothers with a well established supply who have successfully breastfed older children they can be a life saver for times like taxiing children around. So I'm not as purist as I used to be.
And now for a dumb question ( I have looked in the obvious places without much success) Its also personal. I'm likely to be going back to work full time in the next few weeks. Jonathan at ten months is being settled into day care and I would like him to have at least one bottle of EBM as its a fullday. AT the moment he occassionally has about 6ozs of formula (and solids and water from a cup) on the two days a week he is looked after while I study but that is only 5 hours  and this will be nine. I'm finding the older he gets the harder it is to get flow going with a pump(hence the formula). Could anyone with experience of expressing for an older baby private email me on what their feeding pattern is like and how much he's likely to take by bottle at this age?Most of the references are to younger babies TIA Sonja Lower Hutt NZ

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2