Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 23:53:02 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I share Melissa's concern re herbs.  I would add any 'complementary' remedy, and (it almost goes without saying) any
prescribed medicine.  In my view, if it's powerful enough to help the mother, it's powerful enough to harm mother or baby...

As National Childbirth Trust Breastfeeding Counsellors, our Code of Conduct precludes us from recommending any
remedy.  Of course this can be frustrating, if we know from experience of a helpful remedy.  I might ask a mother if she has
considered complementary medicine, and if she shows any interest suggest she sees a qualified practitioner.  If no
interest, I would not pursue it.

If I knew a mother was taking something I was concerned about, I would probably make a general comment about it
being wise to check anything taken while pregnant/breastfeeding with a qualified practitioner.

There was an article in our journal New Generation Digest in June, by Peter Golightly, Director of Trent Drug Information
Service.  Among his conclusions are -
        The use of herbal medicines and other products should be avoided during breastfeeding.

Mary Broadfoot, Scotland
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2