Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:05:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
There is a big difference between making breastfeeding the norm (by social attitudes, the way we word information etc. etc. etc.) and eliminating the "choice" whether to go with the norm or not.  Let me pose an example which I hope is remote enough from breastfeeding so as not to inadvertantly spin off another whole unrelated discussion.

I believe I can say that it is universally accepted that urinating without any "gadgets" is the norm.  The urine leaves the body through its natural orifice and is deposited somewhere away from the person (that location determined by custom, specific circumstances etc.).  Now there are situations when this norm cannot be followed and an individual may have an alternate orifice created surgically or the urine may be diverted from its normal place of deposition via an internal or external catheter.  We certainly accept the medical reasons for this deviation from the norm without lessening what is viewed as normal.  There may be circumstances when one may elect to use one of the "alternate" approaches without medical reason.  In some cases we may agree with this alternate "choice" and in others we may not.  Astronauts certainly have an acceptable reason for deviating from the norm while they are confined to a spacecraft with no possibility of urinating normally.  Others may choose to do so because stopping what they are doing to urinate is seen as at the least inconvenient. This might be an ocasional situation such as a long road trip or ongoing because the person does not want to let it interfere with their lifestyle.  By acknowledging that these "choices" might be available, we are in no way diminishing the fact that there is a normal way of doing so or couching our description of the normal way so as not to make those that make other choices "feel guilty".

OK, it's an extreme example and breastfeeding involves at least 2 individuals, one of which has no say in deciding whether to eat the normal way or with an alternative method, but I think we can draw a parallel.  Normalizing how we veiw and talk about breastfeeding in no way "forces" one do do so, but it does make the available information one might consider in chosing not to go with the norm or not accurate, honest and complete.  Moms should not have to choose to breastfeed, but any choice should be a choice NOT to do the normal thing, not an either/or choice.

Winnie Mading IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2