Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 04:43:37 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Yikes, Phyllis!  Can we take up a fund & send that nurse to a re-education camp or something & fast!

Yes, those of us who've worked in NICU's have all seen the nurse who can "make"/force anyone to eat, but they do not realize the damage they are doing in the process.  I try to talk with those staff members one on one & it is a tricky discussion at that.  I've also tried to include in inservices proper feeding techniques whether at breast or the bottle & why forceful techniques are so destructive to successful oral feedings.  Often these force-fed premies are the ones that show up at 3 mos. in a followup clinic with strong oral aversions that were not apparent during their NICU stay (gee, they always ate well in the hospital, but mom & dad just can't get him to eat).  If the staff member is averse to learning new methods, then I discuss it with my nurse manager to see if she can't persuade him/her to change ways prior to the next performance review.

At the facility where I work, we have similar guidelines in the Level II nursery to end feedings at 30 minutes if the babe is not feeding effectively.  However, we do have a fudge factor where the timed session does not begin until latch occurs & the feeding may end sooner if the babe starts showing signs of distress.  We are allowed to extend the session if babe is breastfeeding effectively with no signs of distress.  Also, our policy includes that if the feeding is not completed at the breast, we are not to go to any other oral feeding method, but depending on how long the baby nursed, to gavage feed a prorated amount which (if I am the nurse assigned to that patient) will occur during kangaroo care on the mother's breast or dad's if he's willing.

You, the mother & her babe, have my deepest sympathy.  Hope that nurse can be enlightened.

Linda

iWon.com       http://www.iwon.com     why wouldn't you?

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2